Tuesday, December 6, 2016

A snippet from book 2 Scavenger Falters

 Here's a bit between Alisha and her best friend, Jack.

Jack gently pulled her into his arms. “I would have retrieved your catcher if it had been nothing more than regulation gear. He’s just mad because I had the opportunity to do it and he didn’t.” Jack paused and then added, “And maybe because you were coming on to me shamelessly.”
“I was not!” she countered, angry that her plan had been so transparent.
“I’ve seen enough flirting to know it when I see it. You were definitely hitting on me. Now either you’ve changed your mind and you do want to sleep with me, or you and Logan had a fight this morning and you wanted to make him jealous.”
Alisha leaned her head into Jack’s chest. “I don’t want to sleep with you, Jack!” she growled with certainty.
“That’s good, because if you were seriously coming on to me, we’d have a problem.”
She glared up at him. “Am I that repulsive?”
“Not at all,” he assured her, stroking her cheekbone. “You are absolutely breathtaking, but my heart already belongs to someone else.”
“Then why are you so nice to me?” she demanded.
“Because I think you are the most extraordinary person I’ve ever met and I enjoy your company immensely.”
Alisha gave him an apologetic smile. “Thanks. I think you’re pretty swell too…as a friend.”
“I know. Your heart’s taken as well. But these old guys, they don’t cave easy.”
Alisha was on the verge of denying it was the colonel, but she hated lying to Jack, and he wouldn’t have believed her denials anyway. He knew her too well. “Is it that obvious?”
“Actually, no. You’ve got the general convinced there’s nothing going on, and he’s a sharp old bird, always looking out for that sort of trouble.”
“Then how’d you figure it out?”
“Give me credit! I’m a brilliant visionary, able to pull together bits of intel, and develop the enemy’s strategy—no, wait, that’s you. Well, then it’s probably because the speakerphone was still open when Logan confessed he loved you.”




On PreOrder 

No comments:

Post a Comment